Frequently Asked Questions

I am looking for child care in my area. How can Council help me?

You have three options:

  • Call Council and speak with a parent counselor
  • Conduct your own search by clicking here

Our child care provider database includes all NYS regulated child care centers, family and group family child care providers, school-age programs and day camps in Nassau County. Our database also includes nursery schools, domestic (nanny) agencies, Legal 2 providers and Au Pair agencies.


In addition to offering child care referrals, our parent counselors will give you the tools to help you and your family make an informed choice by offering interview suggestions, checklists for your on-site visits, and answer any questions about your child care search. Click here to learn about the different types of child care.


Who is eligible for financial assistance for child care?

The Nassau County Department of Social Services offers child care subsidies to working parents who qualify based on income eligibility (Title XX Day Care Guidelines, which are updated annually). For more information about eligibility guidelines, please click here for financial information or call DSS at 516-227-8519 for an application.


There is someone in my neighborhood taking care of a lot of children. I am concerned with how she/he disciplines them. Is there anyone that I can complain to?

The New York State office of Children and Family Services (NYS OCFS) is the state agency that regulates child care and investigates complaints. You can call the Regional Office that covers both Nassau and Suffolk Counties at 631-240-2560.


How do I become a child care provider?

Council offers several workshops each month to assist potential providers with the decision to enter the child care field, as well as both the business and the practical aspects of understanding regulations, requirements, and the application process. Call Council to register.


I work in a child care program. How do I become a member of Council?

You have two options:

Membership benefits include: discounted rates on workshops and/or credential programs, subscription to agency newsletter, and eligibility to enroll in health insurance and/or student accident insurance. Learn more about Professional Membership here.


How can I support Council?

Your interest in Council's mission is greatly appreciated. There are a number of ways that you can contribute to the ongoing work of Council:

  • Make a donation
  • Sponsor an event
  • Voice your support for child care-friendly public policy on a county, state and federal level

Visit the Action Center for more information.


How will my contribution be used?

Your financial contribution is either targeted to a particular area/program, or is a general donation to Council. Private donations give nonprofit organizations much needed "unrestricted" monies to help underwrite the costs of new initiatives or general administrative overhead. 

If you would like to discuss contribution options further, please call ext.37 or email


I want to participate in a Special Event; how do I sign up?

Please visit our News and Events page for specifics about our calendar of activities and fundraisers. Call ext.37 if you are interested in participating.


What topics does Council offer to meet my 30 hours of state-mandated professional development?

Council offers a variety of workshops and seminars every month. All nine of the following mandated topics are covered at several times throughout the year:

  1. Principles of Early Childhood Development, including appropriate supervision of children, meeting the needs of children with special needs and behavior management and discipline
  2. Nutrition and health needs of children
  3. Child day care program development
  4. Safety and security procedures, including communication between parents and staff
  5. Business record maintenance and management
  6. Child abuse and maltreatment identification and prevention
  7. Statutes and regulations pertaining to child day care
  8. Statutes and regulations pertaining to child abuse and maltreatment
  9. Shaken baby syndrome


Where can I get financial assistance for professional development?

The Educational Incentive Program (EIP), which is funded by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services and is administered by the Research Foundation of State University of New York, is a scholarship program which helps child care providers pay for the professional development and education they need in order to provide quality care to children. Child care providers must be caring for children in a facility regulated by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services or the New York City Department of Health.

Eligibility is income-based and awards range from $500 to $2,000 annually. For an application, call 1-800-295-9616. 


I am a child care provider - what is the Child & Adult Care Food Program, why should I sign up, and how can I enroll?

CACFP is a federally funded program administered by the NY State Department of Health and sponsored by Council. The program provides reimbursement for some meals and snacks served to children enrolled in your program. CACFP is one of the key building blocks for good nutrition and quality family child care. Call ext.27 or email for more information.


What are the different functions of NYS Office of Children & Family Services (OCFS), Nassau County Department of Social Services (DSS) and Child Care Council of Nassau?

  • OCFS regulates child care in NYS, issues regulations and licenses, develops and enforces regulations, inspects programs, investigates complaints, and is where your licensing representative and fire safety inspector can be reached.
  • DSS subsidizes eligible parents for child care expenses and pays child care providers directly for those families receiving subsidy. 
  • Child Care Council of Nassau has a parent services department that collects and updates provider information, makes child care referrals to parents, and recruits new child care providers. Council also offers professional development to reach the mandated training hours and provides early childhood career counseling.